Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Prison Turned Art School and los Isletas de Cocibolca

Today, I went to school where we spent the first two hours practicing verbs in the classroom. Around 10:00 all the students and teachers went for a walk around the city. It was nice to be able to practice speaking with many different people. We went to a Spanish fort (Fuerte la Polvora) that later became a prison and is now an artist school for mentally handicapped people. There were a ton of mango trees inside, and the view from the towers was quite lovely. Also, it was very breezy and cool up there compared to down on the ground. Perhaps I will post some photos when I remember to bring my camera cords to the Intercafe.

After school, I went home for lunch and then had a two hour nap which almost made me late for the afternoon boat tour. I'm glad I didn't miss it because it was much cooler on the water than on land. Cocibolca, aka Lago de Nicaragua, is super huge. Like the Great Lakes in the US, you can't see the other side and it feels like an ocean. This lake has over 350 islands, many of which are very small and independantly owned. A small one can be bought for around $25,000 USD. It was really pretty and lush. One of the islets is home to a group of monkeys, who all come down to the waters' edge when boats come near in hopes of being fed. My teacher told me that they came from a scientist who was doing research and then let them go on this island. She said that there used to be a lot more of them, but that many died by climbing on the electricity wires that pass through the trees on the island.

I'm not sure what I will be doing this evening. Perhaps I will go see a movie. There is a movie theatre near my house that shows English language films with Spanish subtitles, as well as Spanish films. Also, a nearby hostel shows English language films everyday, which would be nice, although not particularly helpful with my language practice.

Hasta Luego!

3 comments:

World Wanderer said...

Hey kiddo! Glad to hear you're having fun over there. I hear you about the heat. I think it's been over 110 at the coolest for 2 months now, and the humidity is ramping up, nothing like feeling sticky to make you know you are near the Equator.

Talk to you later!

The Ubran Poetess said...

Monkeys! You said the magic word! I want to buy an island full of monkeys! But so sad that they die on the electricity wires. :-(

¡Holly! said...

Sounds fabulous! Your adventures are only beginning, lady. Keep on posting!