Thursday, January 3, 2008

¡¡¡Feliz Navidad!!!

Christmas here in Chile is a strange time. They have all the same decorations (lights, fake pine trees, Santas wearing fur) and the same music (Jingle Bells, Little Drummer Boy) but it´s SUMMER! And it just seemed really odd to see all these things I´ve always associated with winter down here in the sunshine.

Photobucket

Coca-Cola sponsered the decorations in this plaza in Santiago. Who said Chirstmas isn´t a commercial holiday...

Photobucket

About a week before Christmas, the girls at the hogar (home) where I volunteer had a pagent for all their families

I went early to help them get ready

Photobucket

First they did a couple dance routines

Photobucket

And, of course, the nativity was included

Photobucket

I celebrated Christmas twice (instead of three times as usual =) Lisi celebrates on the 24th, so we went out to breakfast and then started drinking wine at about 4. Later I made my Aunt Shezhe´s famous salmon recipe and everyone loved it. Another friend came over after dinner and we had a chat and more wine until Lisi demanded that I give her her present. I made stockings for her and René and filled them with snacks, booze, and the staples--batteries and underware =) She gave me Spanish Scrabble and René gave me an international cookbook series I´d really wanted in Buenos Aires. He even said that he´d mail it home for me if I didn´t want to travel with it.

Christmas Day René and I went to the beach, even though it wasn´t sunny for most of the day. Had a nice walk around the town--a surprising amount of stuff was open--then back home for a delicious creamy pasta sauce with chicken and mushrooms. My family was finally able to call around 2am and I was so happy to talk with everyone that we didn´t get off the phone until around 3:30!

All my lovely presents...

Photobucket

And René with his

Photobucket

Even though it was cloudy, we still had to go to the beach

Photobucket

It finally got sunny around 7:30pm

Photobucket

1 comment:

sharon said...

Great pictures! I love to see your smiling face. The little girls are so cute. We miss you! Have fun